Friday, November 19, 2010

Dysfunctional Doesn't Even Begin To Describe It

It's so good to be home in the good old frozen north. Massachusetts. Very liberal, but still home.

I had an interesting experience a couple of days ago, at a conversation during dinner (lunch?) with the swim team. It was either hilarious or extremely depressing, I honestly can't tell which one.

Oh and as a bit of a warning, normally I don't address more mature things in my blog as a matter of principle, but here I'm going to slightly deviate from that policy. Consider yourself warned!

Ok. Dinner. I was sitting near a bunch of the other swimmers when one of them makes a joke about how guys are totally useless.

Now, normally I'd be inclined to take the other side of that argument, but I was kind of hungry and so I stayed out of the vast majority of the conversation at this point. What ensued was that, after some people had retaliated with the expected "well, girls are STUPID", everyone began to think of lists of what guys and girls respectively are good for. Were we sarcastic? Yes. Were we also incredibly sexist? Well, yeah. But that's ok because girls were making the girls list just as much as the guys were, and vise versa.

Not to mention that if you can't take a joke, well, you're just really lame. :P

The lists are as follows:
GIRLS
1. Cooking
2. Cleaning
3. Conceiving
4. Looking pretty

GUYS
1. Cuddling
2. Physical labor
3. Random, useless facts
4. Technological skills

Everyone had a good laugh about it, until one of the girls who I've elected to leave nameless suddenly turned to me...

She looked at me for a second, and then blurted out wait- Brian's so much smaller than the other guys!

Obviously what she meant by that was I'm a lot weaker than them. Embarrassing, but a sad reality I've been working on.

Well, yeah, I said. This is true.

Then, my technical skills came into question, at which point I needed to admit that I wasn't particularly good at fixing things either. I laughed and said something about how useless I was beginning to feel.

The girl in question laughed and said "That stinks, I guess you're probably only good for sex then."

Geez.

1 comment:

  1. A. I didn't know you had a blog! I can totally stalk you now, awesome!
    B. You left off the most important part of my list! It goes
    1. Muscles/snuggling/carrying stuff
    2. Mechanical/technical knowledge
    3. Random, totally useless information
    4. Free stuff
    C. Whoever said you don't have muscles was probably comparing you to Mattie in their head which is extremely unfair and the entire "Brian is little" allegation is untrue. I don't think I made that unsensitive comment (I hope not!) but if it was actually me, I totally take it back!
    D. That's it.

    ReplyDelete