Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Swan Crossing- Watch your Children

Hello humanity!

Today's been pretty much a regular tuesday for me, so far. Nothing too exciting, I woke up late (as is my usual fare), went to the gym, had my daily brush with mortality, got lunch, etc.

Today's episode was on the way down the stairs- I was headed over to the library, where I am now, and I passed one of my hall mates. I said hi, waved, continued on my way down the stairs- and almost fell to my death.

What had happened was he'd grabbed the back of my shirt and shoved- and no, I hadn't provoked him at all. Apparently this is one of the ways guys connect on an emotional level, causing harm to each other.

So I tripped and almost fell down a flight of stairs today. Think about that- trying to explain why you couldn't swim anymore to your coach.

"Brian, why is your neck broken?"
"...One of my friends tried to kill me."
"Why?"
"You know, I'm not totally sure. I should ask him!"

Now, what I can't figure out is how the next conversation would go. THAT would be interesting.

I had had another one of those crazy thoughts today. You know how the atomic bomb worked by transforming matter into energy at a really high speed? And it made that gigantic explosion?
Well, I don't know the intricacies of the principles involved in why matter makes giant craters, but the thought hit me- what would happen if you took a person and instantly converted them into energy?
And if you were to take people of different sizes, would it make craters of different sizes?
Hm.

I wonder.

But anyway. Our first swim meet is on friday! It's a pretty exciting event for me, aside from the fact that I'm not going to be doing any of my normal meet events... normally I'm in the 100 fly and 200 IM, but now I got the 50 and 100 free. And relays. But since now I'm an all out sprinter, which by the way is something I have always secretly wanted to do, it's not THAT big of a deal.

People are convinced that I'm going to be a big shot sprinter, but in all honesty the OTHER two freshman are where it's at. You've seen Daniel, and the other one is Pat. They're AMAZING. They've both already either beaten or tied the pool records for Asbury in their respective events. I might do bios on them at some point, who knows.

But yeah. They're wicked fast. Swimming is going to be on a whole new level of intensity.

And yeah, you've all probably decided that there aren't any large birds in Trustees, and you're right. But it just seemed cooler to fall on top of an angry bird than a surprised guy sitting at the bottom of the stairs.

Which may or may not have happened. But regardless. Gnight!

1 comment:

  1. your wondering would be correct. a 150 pound person would be converted into an amount of energy equal to about 7 times the amount of energy released by the explosion of Krakatoa (about 6,000,000,000,000,000,000 joules) Each pound of weight that they are different from 150 pounds will change the amount of energy released (or generated, as the case may be) by about 40,000,000,000,000,000 joules (which is about the same as the annual electricity consumption of Zimbabwe).

    -your friendly neighborhood physics guy

    ReplyDelete